I had to get right on this. Could it be true? Oh the possibilities. My first thought was hoisin sauce. I wanted some. Hosin made me think stir fry, I had bell pepper and carrots already. And I was off.
This is what I came up with:
- ~2 cups finely chopped carrots and shiitake mushrooms (vegetables)
- 1 cup black beans and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1/4 cup black sesame seeds (protein)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup oil and a splash of water (liquid)
- 1 T black bean garlic sauce (liquid seasoning)
- 2 tsp crumbled dry red chili and 1 tsp ground ginger (dry seasoning)
I'm loving this formula. Brown rice and vital wheat gluten are a pantry staple. These burgers will take whatever you have around. Read through Joanna's suggestions and you'll get the idea. What a great way to pull together different theme patties or to just help clean out the cupboards in a super tasty way. Don't feel confined to burgers here either. Go for cutlets (add a little more gluten if you like more chewy texture) or balls (yeah I said it, balls) for a sub, pasta or whatever.
Have you checked out Yellow Rose Recipes? No? What is wrong with you?!?!