Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Cherry Happy World Vegetarian Day to You!

How fitting that the first day of VeganMoFo is also marked by World Vegetarian Day. No, it's not World Vegan Day, that's next month, but everyone needs to start somewhere right? And vegans are vegetarians (just not all vegetarians are vegans, you see how I snuck in some of that logic I learned in school. Man I hated writing out all those proofs, so easy to mess up one step and the whole proof is in shambles. And if you have an instructor how insists on perfection . . but I digress).

In honor of the day I will stand in the meat section of our local supermarket growling at anyone who dares even thinking about eating meat. Ok I won't actually do that. I'm working all day and I'd probably be carted off by the police.

What I will do is share with you a super yummy new ice cream recipe. You all know I'm in Vermont, the birthplace of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. One of their most famous/popular flavors has been Cherry Garcia. It's actually THE most popular flavor, see for yourself. The number 9 flavor on that list is the frozen yogurt version of this illustrious flavor.
It has been, of course, quite some time since I've had this ice cream. There is no comercially available vegan version. It is time to make one people!

Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
Vegan Style

1 14oz can coconut milk (you can use a light variety or use yogurt for froyo goodness)
1/4 cup cherry juice (if you use a concentrate you might want less)
1/4 cup frozen cherries
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cherries (fresh pitted or frozen) cut in half
1/4 cup chocolate chunks or shavings

Add the coconut milk, cherry juice, 1/4 cup cherries and sugar into a blender.
Blend until cherries are well broken down and everything is mixed well.
Add the mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the normal directions.
About 1-2 minutes before the mixture is done add the halved cherries and chocolate pieces. You can also stir these in separately just work quickly so your ice cream doesn't turn to soup.
Place your ice cream, covered, in the freezer until it is your desired hardness.

At the last ice cream unveiling received some compliments my ice cream bowls. I'm not sure if they are still available for sale but I actually picked these up from the above mentioned ice cream super power, the down town Burlington Ben & Jerry's scoop shop.

20 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh that sounds so good! I'll definitely have to try that out.

aTxVegn said...

Oh, that ice cream is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks hella better than B & Js!

Chessa said...

It's gorgeous! But how did it TASTE?!?

Jes said...

What an awesome way to start MoFo! I've missed that ice cream so much...

Anonymous said...

Nom! Excellent work! I'd like Half Baked, Fossil Fuel and Phish Food next please... ;0)

Lily Girl said...

That looks spot on! Trader Joe's out here has a soy version, but I'm not a fan. I'll have to try your's soon, cherry garcia is my boyfriend's and my dad's favorite flavor (yes it's weird, and that's the least of it). Thanks for sharing, happy MoFo :)

A.M. said...

O, that looks so good! I love making ice cream with coconut milk, it's such a rich flavor.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Are you heaven sent? This is amazing.

Kati said...

Oh, I will definitely make this! I like the Purely Decadent Cherry Nirvana flavor, which is kind of similar, but this sounds better. Chocolate + cherry = YUM.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

In my pre-vegan days, Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt came in a very close second to my favorite mint chocolate chip. I'll definitely be giving your recipe a try. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! We have been big B&J fans over here, although it's pretty expensive in G. Great to know that there's such a fabulous vegan version. Thanks for sharing the recipe

Desdemona said...

Oh my GOD. That is so inspired; I used to love Cherry Garcia. Remember Cool Brittania? I'd definitely go for a veganized version of that!

Tami said...

I used to love Cherry Garcia! Awesome adaptation!

Keith said...

Oh, yes. That recipe looks awesome...I may just have to try it out tonight. I really prefer coconut based vegan ice creams to others for some reason. Maybe it's the higher fat content...lol. =)

tofufreak said...

AWESOME!!! i used to love the cherry garcia flavor!! thanks :D

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wish i kicked off World Veg Day with Vegan Cherry Garcia. super yum!

Bethany said...

that is so awesome that you made this recipe. that was my favorite B&J's flavor back in the pre-vegan days.

My earliest memory of them was when my sister was going to UVM and she took me to their original location at the old gas station. it was their anniversary, so free cone day. I so wish that they would make vegan ice cream.

I can't remember when they turned it into a parking lot. Good old Bennington Potter's North is still in the same location, though.

I was bummed out that the Five Spice Cafe's building had burned. I was looking forward to eating there.

Keith said...

Wow, thank you again for this recipe. I made it today and it turned out AMAZING!

disabled account said...

yum! i've been wanting to try vegan ice cream made with coconut milk. i don't have an ice cream maker, but i'm told you can pour the mixture into a cookie sheet and stir it up every couple of hours until the texture is right.

thanks for the recipe!