Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Coconut Bacon!

Yes, that's right. I said it. Coconut bacon. It had to be done. Not that I don't love tempeh bacon. That still has it's place on my plate but coconut bacon fits into that little niche between the larger strips and bits although I suppose it could be made into these as well. I went for flakes.

I didn't come up with exact measurements but kept it simple. Don't be afraid to dump some stuff in a jar and see what happens. It's a science experiment. A delicious, wonderful science experiment.

First you'll need your coconut. I went for flakes, unsweetened of course although now I think of it. Sweetened probably wouldn't be horrible but I'd rather sweeten them myself. I like to know what's going in my food.

The marinade: soy sauce, garlic (powder or microplaned), some dark soy sauce if you have it around, apple cider vinegar, and a touch of liquid smoke.

Method: put coconut in a jar, add marinade ingredients (mostly soy sauce and vinegar and a sprinkling of the rest), cover and shake it like a Polaroid picture. I left this concoction in my refrigerator for a couple days. Dump it out onto a baking sheet and set your oven to it's lowest temperature. Bake the coconut until it's dry. Allow it to cool then store it in a jar.
Sprinkle this delight into sandwiches, on salads, in your tofu scramble . . . wherever you need a salty smoky kick. This goes great in a BLT.

Play around with the flavors. Maple would probably go great in this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Dog! This is brilliant! I need to put shreaded coconut on my grocery list. I would never, ever have thought of this - great thinking!

Carrie said...

You're my hero!

aTxVegn said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I feel horrible that I have fake bacon bits in my pantry, but I would love to keep your version on hand.

Anonymous said...

Coconut... bacon. That is crazy! I love it, it's sounds great!

pinkhairedcyn said...

That is some crazy science! It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea--will definitely have to try it!!

T said...

What a crazy idea! Love your blog, and especially all things coconut. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely genius! What CAN'T coconut do?
You should try frying up Tofurkey slices, pretty legit
-Natalie

humanufo said...

What a great idea! Can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for sharing. :D